Be aware and know the signs
It is important to know what signs to look for in your location so that you can ACT FAST.
Watch out for the following, and treat them as signs that a flash flood could be on its way:
- heavy rain or severe weather reports.
- rising water levels with churning dark water.
- a build-up of debris in rivers or streams.
What to do if a flash flood happens
Take these quick and simple measures to minimise the impact on you and your property:
- Listen to local radio and TV for warnings and advice.
- Move furniture and valuables upstairs if you can.
- Roll up carpets and rugs if possible and move them out of harm’s way.
- Put plugs in downstairs sinks and baths and weigh them down.
- Bring outdoor pets indoors and upstairs where possible.
- Prepare a pack with essential items i.e. prescriptions, important documents, baby items etc.
- Turn off the gas and electricity supply.
- Evacuate if asked to do so by the emergency services.
- Never walk or drive through floodwater, as there may be hidden dangers such as open manholes.
- Keep yourself safe; dial 999 if your life or health is in danger.