Flood Recovery Grants

Support for Residents following the 2015 floods

£500 Hardship Fund

If your home was flooded, a one off payment of £500 per household is available. This grant aims to support your recovery costs, e.g. repairs or paying for alternative accommodation. In the majority of cases, the payment will be made to the person who is named as the council tax payer in the property – in rented accommodation this will be the tenant. More information can be found on our dedicated webpage.

Council Tax relief for residents

Where we know properties have been flooded, you will automatically be eligible for Council Tax relief for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months. Your Council Tax account will automatically be adjusted with a 3 month discount on properties that we know have been flooded. If you have had to move out of your property because it was flooded, you must contact us for the extended Council Tax exemption and tell us when you will return to your property. More information can be found on our dedicated webpage

Help available through the Discretionary Housing Payment scheme

Anyone who has had to leave their home temporarily due to flooding and is in receipt of Housing Benefit may be able to get additional assistance with the following: Bond payments if moving into a private tenancy, removal costs and a shortfall in rent if temporarily moving into a property larger than the household needs. More information can be found on our dedicated webpage

Please note that the above applies to people who live on a boat as their main accommodation and who were also affected by the flooding. 

Calderdale Council has announced that a Repair and Renew grant is now available for properties affected by the floods on Boxing Day 2015.

Repair and Renew Grant Scheme for Businesses, Community Organisations and Residents

Up to £5,000 can be claimed for work that will help to protect buildings against future flooding. This can be for work which will help to reduce flood damage, or which will make it easier to clean up and dry out a home or business afterwards.  This could include installing removable cupboards, self-closing airbricks and non-return valves, replacing wooden floors with polished concrete or tiles and using water resistant mortar and lime based plaster when doing repairs. 

If you are a business or a community group and your premises have been affected complete the grant application form and email it to: business@calderdale.gov.uk

If your home was affected please email your completed application form to floodfundingteam@calderdale.gov.uk.  

More information can be found on our dedicated webpage.

Support for Businesses following the 2015 floods

The business team continue to visit flood affected areas to get in touch with as many businesses as possible to help them access the funding. Business rates will be suspended for three months for affected businesses, and the Council can confirm that flood affected businesses in Calderdale are eligible to apply for a business flood recovery grant of up to £2,500 to help businesses get up and running. Organisations including charities, academy schools and churches may also apply for business support. Details on how to apply for this and for more information on support for businesses visit our dedicated webpage